Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Cat Bordhi, You are a Genius... (my unauthorized review of her new book)

Two weeks ago, I managed to get one of the last copies of Cat's new book - New Pathways for Sock Knitters: Book One at my LYS and it was such a treat to open the book and know instantly that almost every single sock design (and let me tell you, there are a ton) was something that would not only give me a beautiful and well designed pair of socks, but would also expand my knitting skills and open my mind to a completely new way of making socks.


Trish's Ravelry Projects 006

The best part of the book, in my opinion, is that every time I work a new sock, I am being challenged to work the construction of the sock in a new and completely different way. Cat has reworked the standard sock heel and introduced new methods for working the gusset of each sock so that patterning and textures can be introduced where none was possible before.

Trish's Ravelry Projects 010


Also, Cat Bordhi has ensured that knitters of all skill levels are able to work the sock patterns in her book by introducing the patterns in smaller versions (designed in baby sizes) using worsted weight yarn. As well, she ensures success by using well placed and easy to understand diagrams of each technique, lettered markers, and separate instructions which outline the major techniques (such as how to conceal short row wraps) which need to be mastered in order to complete the sock.


In short, a well designed and thought out book! I can't wait to continue my way through the book. I suspect that this book will expand the ability of sock pattern designers and we as sock knitters will begin to see the construction techniques making their way into more and more new sock patterns.


I have worked two of the sock patterns in this book so far and intend to continue to unofficially review each design in this book as I move along.

1 comment:

Kayla W said...

Now I'm jealous! I wish I'd gotten the book when I'd had the chance. :( I'm going to live vicariously through you, okay?
K